Fall is a beautiful season in our area and we welcome those who are seeking a way to enjoy our area with its remote and wide open spaces and tree lined scenic drives. This year is poised to be a great leaf looking season in and around Spruce Pine, Bakersville and Little Switzerland. Come enjoy these Fall Adventures. Make Mitchell County your fall base camp as you visit NC’s Three Peaks, trout fish, hunt from gems, explore art studios and pick your own apples at a local orchard.
What will the fall color look like?
Fall color experts say we are positioned for a colorful autumn! Look for the first peaks of color in early October at elevations above 6,000 ft. and then moving down the mountains from Grandfather to Mt. Mitchell, Roan and beyond.
There’s always plenty of adventures to take in while you are here enjoying the breathtaking beauty of our fall season. Check out these Fall Family Bucket List adventures!
Check Off These Bucket List Items
1-Visit NC’s Three Peaks…check NC’s most popular three peaks off your list with visits to Roan Mountain, Mt. Mitchell and Grandfather Mountain from right here in the center of them all. Be sure to check websites for current Covid schedules.
2. Trout Fish Mountain Waters…there’s no more beautiful time or place to hit our mountain streams to fish for local trout. With two Mountain Heritage Trout waters in Mitchell County (Spruce Pine and Bakersville), you will be sure to find a special fishing spot to land the big one!
3. Hunt for Gems in the Best Gem Mining Spot in NC…we aren’t called the most important mining district in the world for nothing! Come experience the fun of gem mining with your family and take home treasures to fill your memories and stories for years. You can even have your finds turned into beautiful jewelry for a one of a kind Christmas gift! If you want to experience an authentic mountain dig…be sure to ask about the special mine tours local businesses offer!
4. Explore local art studios and galleries….with more artists per capita than any other area in the country, you are going to be amazed at the talent you’ll find and the unique handcrafted items you can add to your collection. Be sure to visit the galleries in Bakersville, Spruce Pine and Little Switzerland for a great display of local art.
5. Pick Your Own Apples…nothing says Fall like visiting a local mountain apple orchard and picking your own apples. Not up for picking your own? No worries…you can still grab a basket of apples to take home that the orchard has prepared for you. Experience live music, homemade fudge, and hiking trails on your visit to the orchards too! Instagram worthy for sure!
6. Horseback Riding…there’s a horse for every rider so that the whole family can enjoy the beauty and serenity of a mountain trail ride. Through tree lined trails and through mountain streams, this bucket list item will be one you want to do every year!
There’s just a few bucket list items for Fall 2021 to get you started. Be sure to check out our 101 Things to Do List for other inspirations! From jaw dropping mountain views atop Roan Mountain, to mountain view firepits for family talks in Little Switzerland, from walking creek lined paths in downtown Bakersville to grabbing some local food and a drink with friends at a locally owned restaurant or shopping in downtown Spruce Pine…we have so much waiting for you to make your Fall getaway this year all that you need it to be. Try something new this year and experience an authentic family bucket list getaway.